At Fisher-Titus Medical Center, our vision is to enhance the quality of life and safety of each person we serve, and when it comes to surgical procedures, we strive to provide the best and safest possible care for our patients. Whether it is a laparoscopic procedure, routine hernia repair, or more complex surgery such as a total joint replacement or a robotic-assisted procedure, our experienced surgical team, state-of-the-art technology and close-to-home modern facilities are a comfort to our patients when preparing for surgery. Our expert surgical team of 24 surgeons, 19 registered nurses, 11 surgical technologists and other support staff — with years of advanced training — performed over 7,184 procedures in 2013 and performed 7,140 in 2014.
GET BACK TO LIFE FASTER
MINIMALLY INVASIVE | SMALLER INCISIONS | LESS PAIN | LESS SCARRING | SHORTER STAY
Types of Surgeries Performed
- ENT/Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose, Throat) - ENT Surgery focuses on diseases, injuries, or deformations of the ears, nose, throat, head, and neck areas.
- General - Despite the term "general," General Surgery focuses on the torso and abdominal regions, most commonly treating appendicitis, hernias, gallbladder, stomach, and intestinal issues, and dealing with diseases involving the skin, breast, and soft tissue.
- Gynecological - Gynecologic Surgery refers to procedures that are performed to treat a variety of conditions affecting the female reproductive organs (vagina, uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, etc.) such as hysterectomies, tubal ligations, cesarean sections, ovarian cystectomies, and many others.
- Ophthalmological - Ophthalmological surgery includes those to treat the anatomy and diseases of the eye, such as cataract surgery or corneal transplants.
- Orthopedic - Orthopedic surgery is concerned with the musculoskeletal system. Both surgical and non-surgical techniques are used to treat trauma, sports injuries, congenital disorders and other musculoskeletal issues.
- Podiatric - Podiatric Surgery focuses on foot and ankle needs, such as reconstructive foot and ankle surgery or endoscopic heel surgery.
- Spine Surgery - Cleveland Clinic Spine Surgery at Fisher-Titus is led by Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon Don K. Moore, M.D. The clinical affiliation with Cleveland Clinic provides residents with local access to the best practices and expertise of the Cleveland Clinic. Spine surgery is available for conditions such as disc herniations, spinal stenosis, and a variety of back and neck disorders.
- Urological - Urological Surgery includes those for the pelvis--urogenital, and gynecological organs--primarily for the treatment of obstructions, dysfunction, malignancies, and inflammatory diseases. A few examples of urological surgery include renal (kidney) surgery, bladder surgery, testicular surgery, and treatment of kidney and ureteral stones using extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL).
- Thoracic/Vascular - Thoracic Surgery is any surgery that is performed on the thorax (chest), such as the heart or lungs. Vascular Surgery specializes in treating diseases of the arteries and veins.
Our Surgical Facilities
The Surgery Renovation project, which began in spring 2013 and was completed in March 2015, created a state-of-the-art facility that can be used for years to come. This $16 million multi-phase 42,000-square-foot project was designed for optimal patient care and workflow efficiencies. In addition to upgrading space and equipment, the design team worked to address patient comfort and privacy, as well as family needs as loved ones undergo surgery.
The new facility includes:
- Seven State-of-the-Art Operating Rooms
- A Surgery Seating Area
- A New 16-Bay Prep and Recovery Area
- An Endoscopy Center with four procedure rooms and 9-bed prep/recovery area
- 10 Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) stations.
The Birthing Center, on the fourth floor of the Fisher-Titus Medical Center's Patient Pavilion, has its own C-section operating room and two-bed recovery unit.
In addition to the modern facilities on campus, what makes Fisher-Titus Medical Center unique is our commitment to frequent updates to our state-of-the-art technology for patients. Much of our technology is newer or more frequently upgraded than some of the larger teaching hospitals in northern or central Ohio. Our continually updated equipment allows our physicians to have the best possible images and instruments available on the market to provide the best care for each patient, during both
inpatient and outpatient surgery.
Demonstrating our dedication to excellence and commitment to providing the best possible care, Fisher-Titus also offers robotic-assisted surgery. In the hands of our expert surgeons, da Vinci surgical technology provides the ability to perform complex surgical procedures with incredible precision and very tiny incisions. The robot is approved for over 140 surgical procedures; many that can be performed right here at Fisher-Titus, including general surgery, gynecological, urological, thoracic and ENT procedures. This minimally invasive approach allows us to deliver advanced surgical care to our patients with fewer side effects, faster recoveries, and shorter hospital stays. All right here.
Sixty-five percent of surgeries performed at Fisher-Titus Medical Center are now outpatient procedures, which do not require an overnight hospital stay. Thanks to technological advances, we're able to use less invasive procedures such as laparoscopic techniques and modern anesthetics that help contribute to the types of outpatient procedures we can perform. Similar procedures would have required days of hospitalization 10 to 15 years ago. As we stay on the forefront of technological advances, more and more of our patients are able to take advantage of outpatient procedures with shortened recovery times.
Our advanced surgical services are available to patients throughout Erie and Huron counties, including Amherst, Ashland, Attica, Bellevue, Berlin Heights, Castalia, Clyde, Collins, Fremont, Greenwich, Huron, Milan, Monroeville, New Haven, New London, New Washington, North Fairfield, Norwalk, Nova, Oberlin, Plymouth, Port Clinton, Sandusky, Shelby, Shiloh, Tiffin, Tiro, Vermilion, Wakeman, Wellington, Willard and the surrounding communities. Call us today to learn more!