Making any change in your daily routine can cause a certain amount of stress. Try these techniques for relaxing.
- Sit in a comfortable position
- Close your eyes
- Stretch your arms in front of your body
- Take in a deep breath, inhaling through your nose. At the same time stretch your arms out to your sides as wide as possible.
- Bring your arms to the front of your body, exhaling through your mouth at the same time.
- Repeat five times.
- Go back to normal breathing.
- Keep your eyes closed. Place your hand over your diaphragm.
- Inhale through your nose, holding for a count of five.
- Exhale through your mouth for a count of five.
- Repeat five times
- Go back to normal breathing for one minute.
- Open your eyes, and you will feel very relaxed.
- Think of a negative consequence of smoking.
- Imagine that consequence for 15 seconds. Really see it in your mind.
- Deep breath and imagine the scene for another 15 seconds.
- Now visualize what you want to happen instead. Hold the image for 30 seconds.
- Deep breath and imagine yourself relaxing in your favorite vacation spot.